Due to problems loading images on my Google blog sites, I have now started a new blog , click here to see

Monday, April 07, 2008

Olympic torch parade protests

Its Spring, but yesterday we saw the first fall of snow of the winter.

Although it was very cold, in the afternoon I thought I would take a stroll across Blackfriars Bridge to watch the Olympic torch pass St Paul's Cathedral.

Got there early, not much for the French TV crew or myself to see. More policemen than protesters.

Then suddenly, when I looked down Ludgate Hill I saw a tidal wave of humanity running towards me.


They were closely followed by police reinforcements, on foot and motorcycle.


Even though the crowed was a mixture of protesters opposed to China's human rights record and its occupation of Tibet, and pro-china supporters, the demonstration was good natured.

I only saw one argument, between a very angry pro-Tibet protester and a Chinese supporter.




The police were very quick to move in on any threat to the passage of the Olympic torch.













Unfortunately I did not see the torch. The plan had been for a team of runners to transport it from the Royal Festival Hall to St Paul's , but due to the number of demonstrators that plan was abandoned and the torch transported by bus.

I had been waiting over an hour to see the torch, my hands were freezing. I struggled to change the battery in my camera. Thought "lets go home for a cup of tea".

Blog Archive